By Chef: Eva Hajkova
Posted: March 17, 2014
This is the ideal birthday cake for fruit lovers everywhere and makes a great treat for kids as well! The entire cake is made from fresh watermelon topped with a sweet, creamy and lemony cashew frosting. The combination of juicy watermelon with creamy vanilla frosting is just divine and such a treat. If you’re in the northern hemisphere watermelon season hasn’t struck yet so be sure to bookmark this one for the warmer weather ahead!
Yield: 2 cakes
- 1 watermelon
- 2 cups soaked cashews
- 1/2 cup water or coconut water
- juice from one lemon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-3 tablespoons of raw sweetener of your choice ( I used raw agave syrup)
- 1/2 cup almonds
Peel the watermelon alongside using a sharp long knife, then make a circle shape about 10 cm high or higher if you wish (I made 2 cakes out of one watermelon)
2. Put cashews, water/coconut water, vanilla extract, lemon juice and a sweetener of your choice in a high speed blender and blend until smooth. The cream should have a thick texture, if too thick, a more liquid.
3. Use a spatula to put your cream around the shaped watermelon, using water if too sticky
4. cut the almonds in a food processor and sprinkle them on the sides of your cake
5. Decorate the top of your cake with your favorite fruit
Put in a fridge for a couple of hours.