By Chef: Callie England
Posted: March 31, 2012
Don’t know what to do with all that veggie juice pulp? Why not make some easy veggie pulp crackers and enjoy them with stone ground nut butter.
- 6 C veggie pulp – I used primarily beet and carrot (can we say yum!)
- 3.5 C ground flax – this is about 2 c whole seed before grinding
- .5 C chia seed (if you are sans chia, replace with whole flax seeds)
- .25 C olive oil
- 3 T lemon juice
- 1-2 T apple cider vinegar
- 2 C of water*** (see note)
- 3 T dried herbs – Have fun!
** Water will depend on high dry your pulp is. I used an Omega VRT HD 350 for my juice, so my pulp was super dry! However, a lot of juicers will produce a more wet pulp – in this case, use less water. Or, if your pulp is super dry, use more! You want it to be the consistency of dough – easy to spread, but not too easy!
Depending on the size of your pulp (and/or the efficiency of your juicer) you may want to first processor your pulp in a food processor. Once processed to a fine texture, place in a large bowl. Add to the pulp all remaining ingredients and mix well.
Spread mixture evenly on a silpat baking mat (parchment paper will work as well) – makes about two trays for thick crackers.
Using a pizza cutter, cut desired shapes.
Place in dehydrator for 24 hours at 105. Half-way through, or until dry enough, flip slipat over and peel off. Continue dehydrating until crisp.