By Chef: Amanda Maguire
Posted: June 19, 2012
Elegant in it’s simplicity, this is a raw vegan take on a classic Italian salad from the beautiful island of Capri! Traditionally this salad calls for mozzarella cheese, but there is no need when you have perfectly ripe, creamy avocado. Tomato season is right around the corner (we’ve been waiting patiently!) and what better way to celebrate those delicious juicy red fruits than paired with basil, avocado, and a drizzle of olive oil and balsamic in a simple caprese salad!
- 1 Medium Tomato (I used roma, but I can’t wait to pick up some heirloom tomatoes at my farmer’s market)
- 1/2 Avocado
- 6-8 Leaves Fresh Basil
- 1-2 Tsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Tsp. Balsamic Vinegar
- Sea Salt & Pepper to Taste
1) Slice the tomato and avocado into 1/4 inch thick slices, and arrange them in a row, alternating between the two.
2) Thinly slice the fresh basil and toss over the tomato and avocado.
3) Drizzle the salad with extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar, and sprinkle with sea salt and pepper according to your taste preferences.