By Chef: Heather McClees
Posted: January 16, 2017
Spirulina is a wonderful source of vitamins A, K, trace minerals, iron, antioxidants, healthy essential fatty acids such as GLA, and powerful detoxifying and longevity-enhancing compounds such as phycocyanin, a blue pigment in plants that has been shown to have incredible health benefits for the body! Get your daily dose of this potent superfood in this Tropical Mermaid Superfood Smoothie Bowl – it is a creamy, naturally sweet and packed with easy-to-digest plant based protein. Enjoy!
- 1 1/4 cup of your choice non-dairy milk (RFR Tip — we recommend using homemade, raw nut milk!)
- 1 scoop or packet of vanilla plant-based protein powder, (or a whole food-based, vanilla flavored nutritional shake with plant-based protein added)
- 1 cup of frozen pineapple*
- 1 cup of frozen blueberries*
- 1 teaspoon of Nutrex Hawaiian Spirulina powder
- A teaspoon or so of any raw nuts and seeds you like — I used 1 teaspoon each of unsweetened coconut, pumpkin seeds, and a few rolled oats.
- Add all the main ingredients to a blender in the order listed.
- Blend on low, then progress to high. It should be very thick, much like a soft-serve consistency. With a spatula, scape the contents of the blender into a bowl or into a tall glass.
- Sprinkle the smoothie bowl with the optional toppings, serve with a spoon, eat up, and enjoy!
*You can switch out these fruits depending on which ones you like; I prefer those listed here since they don’t mess with my blood sugar levels, they aid in digestion, and they enhance the flavor of the smoothie in general. Use whichever fruits you like, though!