By Chef: Brandi Doming
Posted: May 6, 2015
This decadent masterpiece shockingly contains just 8 clean ingredients (+ salt) and will blow you and your family away with its creamy, fudge-like texture, rich chocolate taste, and hidden bits of Rawmio cookie dough spread throughout. This is a special occasion cake, as it is super rich, but my oh my will you be happy you made it!
For the crust
- 1 cup raw, unsalted sunflower kernels (140 g)
- 1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 tablespoons raw cacao powder (14 g)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
For the filling
- 3/4 cup melted liquid coconut butter (NOT coconut oil!, you will not get the same results!)
- 3/4 cup plant milk (I used coconut milk, but almond milk would work)
- 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons creamy almond butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup raw cacao powder (45 g)
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3/4 teaspoon espresso powder (optional)
- 3 tablespoons chilled Rawmio Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Spread
- Optional: crunchy raw cacao bits for topping
- First, prepare the crust by adding the sunflower kernels to a food processor and process for about 30 seconds until it is a flour consistency.
- Add the salt and cacao powder and process a few more seconds until blended.
- Add the syrup and process for about 10 seconds or so until large clumps form. Do not over process. Press the dough into a 6 inch springform pan lined with parchment paper sticking out from the sides for easy removal later. Press out evenly to the sides. This makes a smaller cake, so if you want a larger one, you may need to double the recipe. It is a 6 inch cake, but a tall one.
- Next, add all of the «filling» ingredients to a food processor and process until completely smooth. You must make sure your coconut butter is completely melted to a runny liquid before measuring the 3/4 cup, to ensure accurate results. Scrape the sides as necessary and process again until the mixture is completely smooth. The batter is not overly sweet, so taste it and if you want it sweeter, add a tablespoon or so of coconut sugar, but keep in mind it will taste a tad sweeter after it has set and chilled. Also, if you garnish it with chocolate, it will also be sweeter. I thought it was just perfect in the final result.
- Pour the smooth batter over the prepared crust.
- Next, you will take your chilled cookie dough and break it into about 9 balls about 1 teaspoon each. If you are using the Rawguru cookie dough, make sure to chill it in the fridge because it becomes very firm (it is soft at room temperature) and you can easily roll it into little balls this way. Drop the cookie dough bits over the filling and gently press down into the batter completely. The batter should be thick enough so they won’t sink.
- Lastly, if desired, garnish with cacao nibs or chocolate or chocolate chips. Chill in the fridge for a couple of hours or overnight until completely firm and well chilled. Release the cake from the pan.
- Slice and serve and eat in ecstasy. Serve with fruit if desired. This awesome cake will stay firm at room temperature for about an hour or so, which is a huge benefit for parties.
Raw, vegan, gluten-free, oil-free, nut-free option. Can be made nut-free by subbing the almond butter for sunbutter. If you don’t mind it having a slight sunbutter taste, then feel free to sub the almond butter. If you can’t or don’t want to order the cookie dough, then you can either leave it out or use your own homemade cookie dough. You will need about 3 tablespoons of firm cookie dough for the recipe. Note: I added raw cacao nibs on the top for presentation and to have a nice crunchy contrast to the smooth cake. I really, really loved the added dimension of texture, so I’d definitely recommend it. However, if you are not familiar with cacao nibs, they are very bitter and taste like unsweetened chocolate. They are not sweet at all, so it will make your cake taste even richer and more a more deep chocolate. If you don’t like bitter chocolate, then just used mini chocolate chips or some of your favorite chocolate shaved on top.