By Chef: Natalia KW
Posted: November 16, 2010
Do brownie bites really need much explanation? Yum! Packed with protein and omega fatty acids from almonds and hemp seeds. Rich and decadent with honey, raw cacao, mesquite and vanilla
Yield: 1 dozen
- 1 c. almonds
- 1/4 c. cacao powder
- 1/8 c. mesquite powder
- 1/4 c. + 2 TB raw honey or equivalent agave nectar
- 1/3 c. hemp seeds
- 2 TB cold-pressed virgin coconut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or the seeds scraped from one vanilla bean
- pinch of Himalayan salt
1) Place the almonds in your food processor and process until finely ground.
2) Add the cacao powder, mesquite & salt and process again. Pour in the sweetener of choice, hemp seeds, coconut oil & vanilla and process until all is combined and sticking together.
3) Roll into 1.5″ balls with your hands. If desired, roll the finished bites in your favorite superfood powder, herb, or spice for a decorated look. I used cacao powder, mesquite, hemp seeds, peppermint and coconut flour topped with a goji berry.
Refrigerate or freeze for storage. Serve from the fridge.
Mesquite is a specialty item with a sweet, rich, almost maple flavor, full of essential minerals, fiber & protein. If it’s not available to you, feel free to substitute another dry ingredient such as shredded coconut, maca powder (reduce to 1 TB) or more almonds. The flavor won’t be exactly the same, but you’ll still be blissed out from super powers of cacao and hemp seed.