By Chef: Julie Van den Kerchove
Posted: August 7, 2015
Have you ever been hit by a sudden chocolate craving?It makes a great afternoon snack: it will help you to curb your sugar cravings, keep your energy levels high and beat afternoon slumps once and for all. You could even enjoy this smoothie as a post-workout shake too by adding a scoop of your favorite protein powder.
- 1 cup of almond milk
- 1 very large (or 1 ½ small) ripe banana, fresh or frozen
- 1 ½ tablespoon of cacao powder
- 1 tablespoon of coconut sugar (or maple syrup, date paste…)
- ½ tablespoon of raw cacao nibs
- 1 teaspoon of maca powder
- 1 teaspoon of chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon of shredded coconut
- 1 large pinch of Himalayan crystal salt or sea salt
- Combine almond milk, banana, cacao powder, coconut sugar, cacao nibs, maca powder, chia seeds, shredded coconut and salt in a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Garnish with finely chopped Almonds, shredded coconut & raw cacao nibs
• This Skinny Superfood Chocolate Smoothie will stay fresh for at least 1 day in an airtight container in the refrigerator. • Do you prefer a thicker smoothie? Use frozen banana or add ¼ ripe avocado to the recipe. • Replace the almond milk with hazelnut milk for a ‘Nutella’ version.