By Chef: Chris Anca
Posted: May 23, 2014
A crumbly crust made entirely of soft coconut butter and vanilla bean melts in the mouth, giving way to the rich sweet saltiness of the caramel filling….
If you love sweet, sticky caramel with hints of salt this recipe by Chris Anca of Tales of a Kitchen will make you a little weak in the knees… Enjoy!
- 50 gr coconut butter (softened)
- pinch vanilla seeds
- 1 TBSP water
- a handful of cashews (or macadamia nuts if allergic to cashews)
- 4 Medjool dates, pitted
- 3 TBSP coconut oil
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 TBSP maca powder (optional, but so nice in this caramel)
1. In a bowl, mix coconut butter with vanilla and water. Water will transform runny, soft coconut butter into a workable ‘dough’.
2. Press the ‘dough’ into the cake pan and pop in the fridge.
3. Add the ingredients for the filling to a blender and whiz up until soft ‘n silky.
4. Scoop the filling onto the crust and pop back into the fridge.
When ready to serve, sprinkle with sea salt flakes.