By Chef: Elena Alarie
Posted: August 13, 2015
Embrace the new (and the blue!) today with a delicious raw WILD blueberry cake made with a creamy filling of cashews, macadamia nuts, tahini, lemon, raw honey, real vanilla bean, a hint of nutmeg, and of course, plenty of fresh blueberries. This cake is a a pure celebration of late summer’s bounty!
- 3 cups raw walnuts (soaked for at least 4 hours)
- 3 tbsp. raw cacao powder
- 1 cup dried mulberries
- ½ tbsp. maple syrup
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil
- dash of himalayan pink salt (or your preferred choice)
- 3 cups raw cashews (soaked for at least 4 hours)
- 1 cup macadamia nuts (soaked for at least 4 hours)
- 2 tbsp. organic tahini
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 4 tbsp. raw honey
- 2 cups fresh blueberries (you could use frozen as well)
- 3 tbsp. coconut cream
- ½ tsp. raw vanilla bean powder
- ½ tsp. nutmeg
- 2 cups blueberries
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice (from 1 fresh lemon)
- 5-6 figs
- Lots of fresh wild blueberries, figs and basil
- Melt coconut oil in a small saucepan on low heat.
- Place walnuts, mulberries, cacao, maple syrup and melted coconut oil in a food processor and pulse to chop into a fine crust. Once the ingredients are well mixed together, transfer the mixture into a 7” spring form pan and press it down to evenly distribute in the pan. Refrigerate crust and rinse the food processor for next step.
- Open coconut can and scoop 3 tbsp. of coconut cream from the top layer. The rest of it can be refrigerated and used later for a smoothie or porridge.
- Add cashews, macadamia nuts, honey, blueberries, coconut cream and vanilla in the food processor and blend the filling until ingredients are mixed well together. Pour the filling over the base and smooth it out. Place it in the freezer for 2 hours.
- To make the coulis, add blueberries, lemon juice and figs in a blender and blend on high until the mixture is smooth.
- Remove cake from freezer after 2 hours and pour the coulis on the filling layer.
- Top off with lots of fresh wild blueberries, figs and basil leaves.
- To slice cake, use a sharp knife to slice and have close by some warm water to rinse knife between slices.