By Chef: Tess Masters
Posted: January 13, 2013
Alkalinize and mineralize! It’s the name of the game. You can do both with this recipe for a zesty raw kale salad by Tess Masters. Quick to prepare and always a favorite at any potluck, kale salad is a staple on the raw vegan diet for good reason. This one contains fresh mint, pumpkin and hemp seeds, and a dash of red chili flakes. Delicious, filling, and packed to the max with nutrition!
To make the salad:
- 8 cups (3 bunches) organic lacinato kale (dino, Tuscan, Italian kale)
- 2 cups (4 medium) finely diced chopped tomatoes (flesh scooped out) OR red bell pepper for Body Ecology
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped fresh mint
- 2 Tbsp raw hemp seeds
- 2 Tbsp raw pumpkin seeds
- 2 Tbsp raw sunflower seeds
- 1/2 tsp finely minced fresh garlic (about 2 cloves)
- 1/4 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- 1/8 tsp red chili flakes (optional)
To make the dressing:
- 1/4 cup cold pressed extra virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 1/2 Tbsp raw apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp fresh ginger juice (minced ginger and squeeze it)
- 1/2 tsp Celtic sea salt
1) Remove the kale leaves from their stems, and then wash and dry thoroughly.
2) Use your food processor with the sharp S blade to finely chop kale, and place in a salad bowl.
3) Mix salad dressing ingredients together, pour over kale and massage in with your hands.
4) Add in the chopped tomato or bell pepper, mint, seeds, garlic, and lemon zest, and toss.
5) Taste, and then season with salt to taste. Tweak other flavours too — you might want some more lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, mint etc. This was the blend that worked for me.
6) Add in red chili flakes if desired for a little kick. If not strictly raw, a few tablespoons of finely chopped Daiya Vegan Cheese is fabulous in this salad. I also LOVE it topped with some chopped avocado.