By Chef: Nikki Stokes
Posted: January 11, 2013
Is it possible for a salad to be so yummy it’s addictive? With this recipe by Nikki Stokes of Eating Vibrantly the answer is a definite yes. A flavorful and hearty raw walnut taco “meat” combines with fresh greens, tomato, avocado, spring onions and a delicious, lemony cashew sour cream in this healthy raw version of a Mexican inspired classic. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and enjoy what’s sure to become one of your favorite salads of all time. Recipe inspired by Oh She Glows and Naked Avocado.
Walnut Taco Meat (4 serves)
- 1 cup (150g) walnuts
- ½ packed cup (50g) sun-dried tomatoes, soaked 2-8h and drained
- ½ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ⅛-1/4 tsp salt (adjust to taste)
- pinch chili (or more if you like it hot)
- pinch cayenne pepper
Cashew Sour Cream (12 serves)
- 1 cup (140g) cashews, soaked 1-2h (soaking optional)
- scant ¼ cup (55g) lemon juice
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅓ cup (85g) water
- ⅔ cup (95g) ice
Salad (1 serve)
- 2 cups rocket (arugula)
- ¼ cup Walnut Taco Meat (see above)
- ½ avocado
- 1 med tomato
- 1 tsbp Cashew Sour Cream (see above)
- 1 tbsp spring onion, sliced
1) Cover the sun-dried tomatoes in water and leave to soak for 2 to 8 hours. Drain.
2) Process all of the walnut taco meat ingredients in a food processor until well combined, but still chunky.
3) Blend all of the cashew sour cream ingredients in a blender until smooth and creamy.
4) Assemble salad ingredients in a large bowl (one per person),
5) serve and eat.