By Chef: Alex Malinsky
Posted: April 3, 2013
These would make such a great alternative to pecan pie. Simple and amazing! Thanks to Sarah McMinn awesome dessert!
- 1 3/4 cup walnuts
- 3 dates
- pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 cups large medjool dates, soaked for at least 30 minutes
- about 1/2 cup pecans
1. In a food processor combine the ingredients for the Walnut Tart Shell.
2. Blend until the pieces are broken down and stick together when pressed.
3. Spoon evenly into tart pans or an oiled mini muffin tin (for tartlets) and press down gently to create a thin, even crust on the bottom and sides. Place in freezer while making the filling.
Place the soaked dates in a food processor or powerful blender. Add about 1-2 tbsp fresh water and blend until smooth and gooey, scraping down the sides often.
4. Spoon or pipe filling into chilled crusts and top with pecans. Place in refrigerator and allow tartlets to set up for at least 1 hour.
Edit: several people have mentioned difficulty in removing the tarts from the muffin tin. If they don’t want to come out, stick the pan in the freezer for about 30 minutes until shells harden. Remove and run a knife around the edge of each tart. Using the knife, pop tarts out from the bottom.