By Chef: Emma Potts
Posted: May 14, 2015
Raw recipes are great for desserts. Rich, creamy and often substantial but without leaving you feeling like you just ate a brick. Like most raw desserts, this one’s a snap to put together. Cashews, coconut and dates form the crust, along with a generous spoonful of strawberry powder for that yummy fruity taste. And the filling is a lemon custard/cream made with more cashews, banana (to cut the richness), coconut nectar and lots of lemon. Perfect with a few British strawberries!
- 1 C Cashews
- 1/2 C Shredded coconut
- 2-3 Tbsp Raw strawberry powder (or try another raw fruit powder)
- 1/3 C Pitted Medjool dates (approx 4)
- Zest of 1 lemon + 2 Tbsp Lemon juice
- Pinch of salt
- 2/3 C Cashews (NOT soaked*), 1 Banana, sliced, Zest of 2 lemons + 1/4 C Lemon juice, 2-3 Tbsp Coconut nectar, pinch of salt, Fresh berries to serve
- Make the crust first. Grind the cashews and coconut in a food processor until fine. Add the salt, strawberry powder and pulse to combine.
- Blend in the dates, lemon zest and juice until the mixture comes together.
- Divide mixture between 4 coconut oiled tartlet tins and press firmly. Freeze for 1 hour.
- For the lemon filling, blend all ingredients in a high-powered blender until very smooth. Remove to a bowl/container and refrigerate for an hour to thicken up.
- Just before serving, remove the prepared crusts from the tartlet tins carefully. Divide the filling between the four tartlets, top with fresh berries and lemon zest
* I use unsoaked cashews as they absorb some of the liquid whilst in the fridge and help to thicken up the filling,
* Any extras can be frozen and either left to thaw or eaten straight from the freezer for a firmer texture.