By Chef: Emma Potts
Posted: May 12, 2014
Even if you have only 10 minutes of time to devote in the kitchen today you’ll STILL be able to create these amazing lemon and lucuma macaroons by Emma Potts of Coconut and Berries . Lucuma is a fine powder with a naturally sweet, butterscotch-like taste. It is derived from a fruit which hails from South America. Rich in iron, zinc, calcium, magnesium, potassium, beta carotene (which converts to Vitamin A), and antioxidants lucuma adds a delicious flavor AND loads of nutrition to this recipe! The almonds, dates, flax and coconut also add a hefty dose of fiber to aid digestion. ENJOY!
- 1/2C Almonds
- 1/4C Soft pitted dates
- 1/2t Vanilla extract
- 1/2t Lemon extract (if unavailable, add a little extra lemon zest)
- Zest of one lemon
- 1t Lemon juice
- 1 1/2T Maple Syrup
- 2T Ground flaxseed
- 2T Lucuma
- 1/2C Shredded Coconut (+ 1/4C for rolling)
1) Pulse almonds in a food processor until coarsely ground.
2) Add dates through to lucuma and process until a sticky dough forms. It should stick together when pinched between finger and thumb.
3) Add Shredded coconut and pulse briefly to incorporate.
4) Shape mixture into 12 macaroons and flatten slightly.
5) Roll in remaining shredded coconut.