By Chef: Marquis Matson
Posted: November 26, 2013
Raw and gluten free gingerbread cookies made with buckwheat, dates, flax seeds and a blend of deliciously sweet and cozy spices sandwich a dense layer of creamy, cinnamon spiked banana ice cream. If you like gingerbread cookies and you like ice cream (who doesn’t!?) you’ll love this perfect fusion of the two by Marquis Matson of Real Raw Kitchen!
- 1 cup dried buckwheat
- 1 cup medjool dates, soaked
- 1/2 cup flax meal
- 1 T cinnamon
- 1 t nutmeg
- 1/4 t ginger
- 1/4 t allspice
- 1/4 t clove powder
- 1/8 t vanilla
- 4-5 frozen bananas, chopped
- 1 T cinnamon
1. Grind the buckwheat in a food processor, blender or mini chopper * until a powder forms. Place in a large bowl.
2. Process the dates with a couple tablespoons of the soak water until a paste forms and add to the bowl.
3. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well until a dough is formed. I used my hands to mix.
1. In a food processor process the frozen chunks with the cinnamon until an ice cream is formed. Scrape down the sides as needed. That’s it!
1. Line a small baking dish with foil and press down until tight.
Place half the dough on a piece of saran wrap and cover with another layer of saran wrap.
2. Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough to about the same size as the dish.
3. Transfer the layer of dough to the dish and press to fit, filling in any gaps and removing excess.
4. Pour the ice cream over the top.
5. Cover and place in freezer until hard (4-5 hours).
6. Once it is hard, do the same steps with the remaining dough as you did with the first layer of dough.
7. Place in freezer until you are ready to eat (at least 2 hours). Let it thaw for a few minutes before eating so it’s more enjoyable!