By Chef: Selene Vakharia
Posted: December 13, 2012
Enjoy a gooey, doughy, sweetly spiced cinnamon roll while maintaining your raw diet! Hazelnut pulp, ground flaxseed, figs and dates form base ingredients for the rolls themselves. The almond cream is a simple and delicious blend of soaked almonds, dates, a touch of coconut oil and a dash of cardamon and nutmeg to spice it up.
The cinnamon rolls were an adaption of a recipe from Goneraw, check it out for more inspiration!: http://goneraw.com/recipe/cinnamon-rolls
- 1¼ cup hazelnut pulp (leftover from making hazelnut milk)
- 1¼ cup ground flaxseed
- 1½ tablespoons cinnamon
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 3/4 cup soft pitted dates, packed
- 1/2 cup dried figs (heaping quarter cup)
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar
- 1 cup almonds, soaked 8 hours, well rinsed
- 3/4c water, as needed
- 1/4c dates
- 2T coconut oil
- 1/2tsp cardamon
- 1/2tsp nutmeg
1) In food processor, process dates, figs and water. You may need a bit more water to get it smooth. You’ll still have bits of date skin, but it should all be of blended consistency.
2) In a bowl, mix the hazelnut pulp, flax, cinnamon and sea salt. Add coconut oil, agave and mix well. Add enough date paste to get a sticky dough consistency — you should be able to form a ball.
3) Spread mixture into a rectangle on a square of parchment paper. Form a layer on this rectangle with the date/fig mixture. Using the parchment paper, roll the rectangle. It should be wide enough that it rolls once.
4) With a sharp knife, slice 1.5-2″ segments.
1) Blend in a blender until smooth. You may need a little more or a little less water depending on your blender.
2) Spoon cream over roll, serve with a side of blueberries. The tartness of the berries goes incredibly well with the sweetness of the rolls.