By Chef: Gena Hemshaw
Posted: May 8, 2012
Carrot pulp, ground sesame seeds and flax, fresh herbs and spices all rolled up into yummy little falafel patties! To acquire your carrot pulp simply make a large batch of carrot juice and enjoy. This is actually a nut-free recipe and the base of carrot pulp really makes this recipe a lot easier on the digestive system. The tahini sauce is super creamy and tangy and makes a delicious salad dressing in its own right.
Yield: 16 falafel and 1 1/2 cups sauce
- 2 cups carrot pulp
- 1 cup sesame seeds, ground in a coffee or spice grinder, a magic bullet, or a food processor
- 2 tbsp ground flax seed
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Italian flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced very finely (optional)
- 1/4 cup onion, minced finely (optional)
Tangy Tahini Sauce (makes about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp agave syrup or 1/2 packet stevia
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 2 tbsp nama shoyu
- 1/2 large or 1 very small clove garlic, minced (optional)
For the Falafel
1) Mix all ingredients very well by hand, as if you were making meatloaf (ew).
2) Roll into balls about 1 1/2-2 inches thick, flatten gently, and put on a dehydrator try lined with a Paraflex sheet OR onto a baking sheet.
3) Dehydrate the falafel at 115 degrees for two hours.
4) Remove the Paraflex sheet, flip them over, and dehydrate for another two hours.
If using an oven, bake them at 175 degrees with the oven door ajar for an hour and repeat on the other side.
Tangy Tahini Sauce
1) Blend all ingredients in a magic bullet, VitaMix, blender, or food processor until smooth and creamy. The sauce should be super tangy and delicious!
Simply plate a few of these, drizzle them with sauce, and serve. The sweet, nutty, spicy quality of the falafel is balanced by the acidity of the tahini sauce. In all? An awesome raw take on a Middle Eastern classic.