By Chef: Marlie Centawer
Posted: March 27, 2014
Carrot cake and cupcake lovers rejoice! Marlie Centawer of Barefoot and Frolicking has ingeniously created a truly healthy recipe that will satisfy both parties equally. A raw carrot cake cupcake made from fresh carrots, buckwheat flour, shredded coconut flakes, dates, and cinnamon frosted with a creamy vanilla cashew icing. Who wouldn’t want to sink their teeth into that? Enjoy!
Best served immediately with a cup of tea, or keep them in the fridge for a few days or freezer for a few weeks.
This recipe was lightly inspired by the work of This Rawsome Vegan Life.
- 4 large carrots, peeled
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/2 cup shredded, unsweetened coconut
- 1 cup Medjool dates, pitted
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp maple syrup (optional, for more sweetness)
- 2 cups cashews, soaked
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 Medjool dates, pitted
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- slivers of carrot
- dash of coconut flakes
1. To make the Carrot Cake, process the ingredients in a food processor using an ‘s’ blade until well combined. The buckwheat flour has a tendency to ‘soak up’ the liquid from the carrots, so depending on the quanities, you may need to add in more or less flour. Set aside in a bowl.
2. To make the Vanilla Cream, blend ingredients together in a high speed blender until smooth. Transfer to a bowl and set in the fridge to chill.
3. Roll the carrot cake mixture into mini-cupcakes, filling an array of cupcake liners.
4. Top with cashew cream using a piping bag and set in the fridge or freezer until cream is set.
5. Let the cupcakes set in the freezer or ridge overnight or for at least a few hours.