By Chef: Alexandra Dawson
Posted: May 18, 2015
The next time you’ve got the perfect occasion for a carrot cake try this entirely plant based and raw version! It’s creamy, sunny, bright, warm and cheerful and you will be licking your blender clean, especially after making that lemon cinnamon frosting. So good!
Yield: 8 slices
- 1½ cups raw cashews
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon 100% pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- water, as needed
- 1½ cups rolled oats
- 6 large carrots, peeled & cut into cubes
- 2 cups dates
- ½ cup dried shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
Lemon Cinnamon Frosting
- Place all of the ingredients in a high speed blender. Blend for about 45 seconds, adding water by the teaspoon until desired consistency is reached. Transfer to a medium sized bowl and refrigerate, covered, until ready to use.
- In a large food processor fitted with an S blade, processes the oats until they are a fine powder.
- Add the remainder of the ingredients to the processor and pulse until they all begin to stick together.
- Once cake solidifies, remove from freezer.
- Spread the frosting onto the cake + garnish with chopped nuts and cinnamon.
- Place frosted cake back into freezer and allow to set (at least an hour).