By Chef: Judita Wignall
Posted: April 17, 2014
Apples? Check. Nuts? Check. Sweetness? Check. Delicousness? Triple check.
- 1 cup pecans or walnuts
- 1/4 cup palm sugar or evaporated cane sugar
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup medjool dates
- 1/8 teaspoon Himalayan pink crystal salt
- 1/2 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons agave or coconut nectar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 3 cups (2-3 large) apples, peeled, cored, and sliced thinly
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked 2 hours
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 vanilla bean, scraped
- In a food processor, using the «s» blade, combine nuts with palm sugar and process until you get a coarse meal.
- Add raisins, dates, and salt and process until it sticks together. Be careful not to over-process or it will become too oily.
- In a medium bowl combine the topping mixture with the rolled oats.
- In a small bowl combine agave nectar, lemon juice, and pumpkin pie spice.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss apples with lemon juice mixture.
- Blend cashews, maple syrup, water, and vanilla bean until very smooth — about 2 minutes in a high-speed blender.
- Store in a large squeeze bottle for easy use or in an airtight container.
- Sprinkle half of the nut mixture on the bottom of a 9-inch round pie dish or 1 quart baking dish.
- Layer with apple filling and then sprinkle with remaining topping.
- Warm in dehydrator at 145 degrees for one hour and top each serving with maple cream.