By Chef: Amie Sue
Posted: October 1, 2013
Embrace the season of abundance with this decadent and festive pumpkin spice pie by Amie Sue of Nouveau Raw! It is sweet and rich with a lovely texture. The filling is made of mainly fresh sugar pumpkin, dates, spices, a touch of coconut oil and sweetener, and avocado for that lovely creamy texture. The only nuts in the recipe are the raw pecans found in the crust – so even those with sensitive tummies can enjoy this recipe! Happy Fall to All!
Yield: 6 inch springform pan
- 1 1/2 cups raw pecans, soaked and dehydrated
- 1 cup packed Medjool dates, pitted
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 1/2 cups cubed pumpkin (read below on which type of pumpkin to use and how to select a good one)
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, seeded
- 1 1/2 cups packed medjool dates, pitted
- 1 Tbsp cold-pressed coconut oil, melted
- 1 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 2 Tbsp raw agave nectar
- 1 Tbsp lecithin powder (add as the last ingredient)
1) Combine the pecans, dates and cinnamon, in your food processor. Mix until well-blended.
2) Please be sure to not over process or the nuts will release too much oil. The batter should stick together when you pinch it between your fingers.
3) Press into a pie pan evenly and set in the fridge while you make the batter. You can press some of the crust up the sides of the Springform pan if you wish.
1) Chop up your pumpkin into cubes before you add it to your food processor. Be sure to remove the seeds and skin. Don’t throw those seeds away. See my note below regarding them.
2) Process your cubed pumpkin until it is really well-broken-down.
3) Transfer the pumpkin into your blender and add the avocado, coconut oil, dates, pumpkin spice and agave and blend until thoroughly mixed and smooth.
4) Slowly add the lecithin while the blender is running. You want to add this last because it is a thickener. Your recipe will taste just as good without it but lecithin helps the pie to set up for slicing.
Pour the mixture into the pie pan over the crust.
Set in the fridge to chill. Your pie will be ready within an hour, you just want it to set up. Don’t expect the color of your pie to be really orange.
For the icing, I made the Raw Caramel Frosting with chopped up pecans in it.