By Chef: Erin Bosdet
Posted: August 2, 2013
Only lightly sweetened with low glycemic coconut nectar, these protein bars are absolutely brimming with nutrition and will help to maintain an even blood sugar. It’s amazing to think how many energy/protein bars are actually loaded with refined sugars these days. A much better option is to make your own. These protein bars by Erin Bosdet of Simply Dish contain a wide array of complete amino acids – the building blocks of protein – and will give you sustained energy (and a little chocolate fix which never hurts!).
Yield: 6 bars
- 1/2c of unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4c of flax seeds
- 1/4c of sunflower seeds
- 1/4c of chia seeds
- 2 tbsp of pumpkin seed protein powder (optional)
- 1/2c of ‘Dastony’ tahini
- 2 tbsp of coconut oil
- 2 tbsp of coconut nectar
- 2 tbsp of raw dark chocolate
- a pinch of himalayan salt
1) Mix all of the ingredients together, except for the chocolate.
2) Press the mixture into a parchment lined loaf pan.
3) Over a simmer pot of water, melt the two tablespoons of dark chocolate until just melted…….. with a spatula, spread a thin layer of the melted chocolate over the protein mixture and sprinkle a little bit of salt over the top.
4) Place them in the freezer for about an hour (maybe less) and slice!
We recommend that these be stored in the fridge or the freezer………. we didn’t want to use a whole bunch of sticky sweet stuff, which of course would hold them together just a bit better at room temperature.