By Chef: Brandi Doming
Posted: January 23, 2014
Juicy fresh flavor from sweet, crisp apples and bell peppers will burst in your mouth with each delicious bite of this healthy green salad by Brandi Doming of The Vegan 8. You will love the bold flavor of her sweet, spicy and creamy-rich dressing made from a base of pecans, organic mustard, chili spice, apple juice and a liquid sweetener of your choice. The dressing recipe makes quite a bit, so keep the extra in a jar in the fridge for future salads or a quick, healthy dip for veggies. Enjoy!
- 2 heaping cups of sliced assorted bell peppers (I just purchased an 8 oz bag of assorted mini peppers)
- One 5 oz container of greens (I purchased a premade mix of kale, spinach & swiss chard)
- 1 honey crisp apple, thinly sliced
Sweet ‘n’ Spicy Dressing (This dressing makes a lot, 2 cups, so it’ll last you for several salads!)
- 2 cups raw whole pecans (214 g, 7.5 oz)
- 3 tablespoons organic yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoons raw agave (or preferred liquid sweetener)
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons unsweetened apple juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt, to taste
1. Add the pecans to a food processor and process until a smooth paste forms and there are no small pieces left. These process and turn the smoothest the easiest and quickest out of most nuts and work best in this dressing.
2. After it is smooth, add the remaining dressing ingredients and process until very smooth and creamy. Taste and add any more salt or water to thin out, if desired. This dressing has a thick texture similar to a ranch or thousand island dressing, but if you prefer it thinner, just add in a little bit of water.
3. Set aside. (It thickens some in the fridge overnight, so you can just thin it out with some water or use it as a dip as well)
4. Slice bell peppers and apples and add to greens.
5. Pour dressing over salad and sprinkle extra chili powder if desired for more heat over the salad.