By Chef: Julie Van den Kerchove
Posted: September 20, 2017
Chewy chocolate cookie dough filled with smooth vanilla cashew cream…yep, if you’re thinking that sounds a little like one of America’s favorite cookies, you’re right. These raw vegan cookie dough sandwiches are free from gluten & refined sugars, a great source of healthy fats, and surprisingly easy to make too. A great back-to-school snack to keep you satisfied and energized!
Yield: 8 cookies
- ½ cup oats
- ½ cup raw cashews (or almonds, hazelnuts, walnuts… OR extra oats)
- ¾ cup soft dates, pitted and finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons cacao powder, unsweetened
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt (optional – for flavor balance)
- Water, as needed for binding
Vanilla Cashew Cream
- 1 cup cashews, finely ground into cashew flour or soaked overnight
- 1 — 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- Vanilla powder + sea salt, to taste
- Water, as needed to blend
- Put the oats and cashews in a food processor fitted with an S-blade. Process until finely ground.
- Add the dates and mix again.
- Add the cacao powder and sea salt, and process again.
- Add a little water to bind the ingredients. You’ll know the dough is ready when it comes together into a ball.
- Roll the chocolate cookie dough into a big ball, put it on top of some parchment paper and cover it with a second sheet of parchment paper.
- Then roll the dough out using a rolling pin until it’s about ½ inch (1 cm) thick.
- Peel the top sheet off the dough and use a round cookie cutter to cut out the cookies.
- Once you’re done, gather the scraps of dough into a ball again, reroll and continue cutting out more cookies until all the dough has been used.
- Put the cookies in the freezer to harden while you make the vanilla cashew cream filling.
Vanilla Cashew Cream
- Combine the cashews (finely ground or soaked), maple syrup, coconut oil, vanilla powder and a generous pinch of sea salt in a blender.
- Add a few tablespoons of water to get the blender going. Blend until smooth.
- The quantity of water you’ll need depends on how your strong your blender is. You can always add more as you go.
- Spread a generous serving of vanilla cashew cream on top of a chocolate cookie and then place another cookie on top.
- Serve right away or put them in the freezer for 10-15 minutes to harden (if you’re patient enough to wait ).