By Chef: Elise Museles
Posted: October 21, 2014
If you loved mint chip ice cream as a kid, then you are going to freak out over this nutrient-dense but scrumptious version. Who knew that “ice cream” made with hidden greens from spinach and avocados could remind us of one of our favorite childhood treats. You have to taste it to believe it!
Yield: 4 scoops
- 6 ounces of unsweetened almond or coconut milk
- 4 cups spinach leaves
- 1 ripe avocado, pitted and peeled
- 4 pitted medjool dates
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 8 sprigs of fresh mint leaves (or ½ teaspoon mint extract if fresh mint is not an option)
- 2 large frozen ripe bananas, cut into chunks (peel & slice prior to freezing)
- 2 tablespoons raw cacao nibs
- 2 sprigs mint (optional)
A sprinkling of shaved chocolate, chocolate chips or cacao nibs
1. Place plant-based milk and spinach in a high-speed blender and blend.
2. Next, add pitted dates and mint leaves and blend.
3. Toss in the remaining ingredients (except chocolate chips or cacoa nibs) and blend until mixture is smooth, thick, and creamy. Add ice if necessary.
4. Use a spoon and mix in chocolate chips, then dish into small bowls. Garnish each bowl with shaved chocolate or cacao nibs and a fresh mint sprig. Enjoy!