By Chef: Lily Kunin
Posted: January 14, 2016
If you love your sweets balanced with just the right touch of citrusy tart – these raw key lime mini pies are for you. Avocado makes the perfect base for key lime filling – it has a neutral flavor which is completely masked by the lime, vanilla, and maple syrup, and once blended it turns into a dense and deliciously creamy pudding-like texture. Avocado also gives this recipe that classic key lime green hue, only minus the food dye (ick!). ENJOY!
This recipe is adapted from Taline at Hippie Lane.
For the crust
- 2 cups raw cashews
- ½ cup shredded, shredded coconut
- 1 cup pitted medjool dates
- 1 tsp vanilla powder or vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp lime juice (approx 1 lime)
- Pinch of salt
For the filling
- 2 large ripe avocados
- 2 tbsp lime zest
- 1/4 cup lime juice (approx 3 – 4 limes)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla powder or vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Lime zest, freeze dried raspberries, crushed
- For the base, add the cashews to a food processor and pulse into a fine crumble. Add the rest of the base ingredients and process until the mixture sticks together and starts to form a ball. Line 8 muffin trays with plastic wrap. Scoop mixture into muffin tins and gently press until the “crust” is formed. Place into the freezer to set.
- For the filling, place all ingredients in the food processor and process until smooth. Taste and adjust as needed, adding a little more maple syrup or lime (I like it super tangy so I added more lime).
- Spoon the filling into the mini crusts and decorate with lime zest and freeze dried raspberries. Freeze until set, and remove from the freezer one hour before you are ready to serve. Enjoy!