By Chef: Elenore Earthsprout
Posted: April 15, 2012
These “mini brownie bites” are wildly versatile. Cut them in larger pieces and eat like an energy bar or simply wrap small squares in paper and put them in the Easter egg. This recipe is nut free and honestly, one of the best dessert combinations I have ever tried.
- 2 cups shredded coconut (2.8 dl)
- 3 organic oranges — zest & juice
- zest from 2 organic lemon
- juice from 1 organic lemon
- 2 cups dried dates, pitted (2.8 dl)
- 8 tblsp water
- 7 tbslp Raw Cacao (or regular organic)
- 1 pinch of Himalayan salt/Celtic sea salt
- 1,6 oz (45 grams) Cacao butter
1. Mix the shredded coconut in a food processor until a bit creamy
2. Add the zest from 3 oranges and 2 lemons
3. Add the juice from 3 oranges and 1 lemon and mix again until incorporated
4. Put plastic film in a pan (mine measured 10 * 3 inches /25 * 8 cm) and spread the citrus layer evenly onto the bottom of it.
5. Put the pan in the freezer and let it sit there while you make the chocolate layer
1. Roughly chop the dried and pitted dates and put them in a food processor along with the water. Mix until it turns into a thick paste
2. Add the Raw cacao and the salt and blend for approximately 20 seconds more.
3. Melt the Cacao butter gently over hot water and add it to the food processor once it is in liquid form. Mix for another 20 seconds.
4. Spread the chocolate layer on top of the Citrus layer and sprinkle some whole hemp seeds and cacao powder if you like.
5. After 30 minutes in the freezer you can cut it into smaller pieces and store in the fridge (or eat right away).