By Chef: Alexandra Dawson
Posted: April 27, 2015
A Mediterranean – inspired kale salad with homemade pickled onion and plenty of fresh herbs (think that irresistible combo of mint, parsley, and basil) cucumber, black olives, avocado, lemon, and a drool-worthy green tahini-based summer sauce. This needs to be part of dinner tonight, and lunch tomorrow!
Yield: 1 salad
Quick Pickled Red Onion (makes 8 servings)
- 1 medium red onion, sliced very thin into rounds
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
Mediterranean Salad with Summer Sauce Dressing [makes 1 salad]
- 2 cups raw kale, stems removed and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 cup room temperature water
- ¼ cup fresh mint, roughly chopped
- ¼ cucumber, diced
- 2 plum or Campari tomatoes, diced
- 2 tablespoons (about 10) pitted & salt-cured black olives
- ¼ cup picked red onion (see above for recipe)
- ¼ ripe avocado, diced
- 2 tablespoons Summer Sauce (see above for recipe)
Quick Pickled Red Onion
- In a medium tupperware or jar with a tight sealing lid, combine onion, vinegar, sugar and salt until well combined.
- Tightly seal, refrigerate, and allow to sit for at least 1 hour. Enjoy at leisure for up to 1 week.
- Using a food processor fitted with an S blade, blend tahini, herbs, scallions, lemon juice, and sea salt until well combined. With the motor continuing to run, slowly (slowly!) pour in olive oil until the dressing begins to come together and emulsify.
- Remove dressing from processor and store in jar or tupperware with tight fitting lid for up to a week, enjoy!
Mediterranean Salad with Summer Sauce Dressing
- Place all salad ingredients, including now massaged kale, in a medium bowl. Toss to thoroughly combine, enjoy!
- In a large bowl, combine kale, sea salt, and water. Using your fingers, gently massage salt into kale until kale starts to feel less tough (about 5 minutes). Transfer kale to strainer and thoroughly rinse to remove salt. Dry kale.