By Chef: Chris Anca
Posted: August 14, 2014
This green smoothie by Chris Anca of Tales of a Kitchen is packed with all the good stuff: fresh fruit, leafy greens, coconut water, popped (or sprouted) quinoa, and even an added medicinal boost of fresh turmeric and ginger root. If you like smoothies with added crunchiness for a fun variation of texture, and like your green smoothies to be substantial enough to hold you over until lunch, you will love this nutrient-packed recipe. Enjoy!
- 1 young coconut, water and flesh
- 2 kale leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 apple, roughly chopped
- 1 big banana, roughly chopped
- 1 orange, peeled, pitted, roughly chopped
- 1 lime, peeled, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup popped quinoa + 1/2 cup to serve (*see note below)
- fresh ginger, about 2cm piece
- fresh turmeric, about 1cm piece
- optional: 1/3 cup hemp seeds
1. Add all the ingredients to the blender and blitz until smooth and creamy. If too thick (depends how much water you get from the coconut and how moist the flesh is), add more water, a bit at a time until you reach desired consistency.
2. Pour half the smoothie in the jar, add the 1/2 cup popped quinoa reserved for serving and pour the rest of the smoothie on top.
3. Mix the quinoa through the smoothie and serve right away.
* Note: I discovered I like crunchy surprises in my smoothies. I like the sip- sip-chew-sip experience, thus I added extra popped quinoa to my finished smoothie. Feel free to blend it all to make it smooth if you wish. *Note from RawFoodRecipes: you can also use sprouted and dehydrated quinoa for a raw version.