By Chef: Nicole Axworthy
Posted: February 6, 2014
An elegant and sweet taste of what’s to be discovered within the (digital) pages of Nicole Axworthy’s incredible ebook: Edible Gifts.
These chocolate truffles have a perfectly soft and silky smooth texture with a delectable balance of flavors: mint, vanilla, chocolate and maca. They make an excellent Vday gift for a friend or loved one. Place them in foil candy cups and package them in a nice tin for an ultra cute presentation that will mirror confections purchased from a fine candy shop.
Yield: 12-14 truffles
For the truffles:
- 3/4 cup (65g) natural cacao powder
- 1/2 cup (120mL) pure maple syrup
- 1/3 cup (80mL) melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup (60g) soft, pitted Medjool dates
- 1/2 tsp (2.5mL) pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp (1.25mL) pure mint extract
- pinch of sea salt
For the coating:
- 1/4 cup (25g) natural cacao powder
- 2 tsp (10mL) maca powder
1) Using a food processor, process the cacao powder, maple syrup, coconut oil and dates until smooth.
2) Add the vanilla extract, mint extract and salt and process briefly to combine. Transfer the mixture to a shallow bowl and refrigerate for at least 2 hours to firm up.
3) Sift the cacao powder and maca powder in a small bowl.
4) Scoop out 1 tablespoon of the truffle mixture and roll it into a ball between your palms.
5) Dip and roll the truffle in the cacao powder mixture and then place in a paper candy cup.
6) Repeat with the remaining truffle mixture. Store the finished truffles in an air-tight container in the fridge or freezer.