By Chef: Marina Yanay-Triner
Posted: November 14, 2016
Prefer raw recipes that are low fat with simple, whole food ingredients? This tri-layered raw vegan caramel slice recipe delivers! Full of plant based nutrition yet definitely guaranteed to satisfy a sweet tooth at the same time. If you’re addicted to all things caramel the combination of dates, almond butter, lucuma and sea salt will definitely do it for you. Enjoy!
For the Base
- 1 cup oats* (oats are not raw; if you want this to be 100% raw, use any nut of choice, but it will be higher fat that way)
- 30 Medjool dates
For the Caramel Layer
- 2 cups dates (about 12-15 Medjoul dates)
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- 1 tablespoon lucuma powder (optional)
- A pinch of sea salt
For the Chocolate Layer
- 1 tablespoon cacao powder (or carob powder)
- 1/2 cup dates (about 5 Medjoul dates)
- 2 tablespoons maple sugar or coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut water, or regular water
For the base
- Pulse the oats (or nuts) in a good processor, until very flakey.
- Then, add the dates.
- Turn the food processor on, and let it keep running until a giant ball of dough forms. Take the ball out.
- Line a large square pyrex dish or any container you want with parchment paper.
- Lastly, fill the entire bottom layer with the flattened mixture from your food processor, and place in the fridge to cool while you make the other layers.
For the Caramel
- Blend all ingredients in a blender.
- Take the mixture out of the fridge, and flatten caramel on top.
- Place mixture in the freezer to harden.
- The caramel will not get totally hard, but it will be a bit harder and it will be easier to place another layer on top. Allow the mixture to stay in the freezer for about 20-30 minutes.
For the Chocolate
- Blend all ingredients until smooth.
- Take the container out of the freezer, and layer the chocolate on top.
- You can also use a zip-lock bag with the tiniest corner cut off — place all the chocolate inside, and decorate your slices with chocolate in any way you like. This will keep in the freezer for quite some time, unless you devour it first!