By Chef: Jenny Mustard
Posted: December 10, 2015
Tahini is by far one of the most versatile ingredients you can keep in your kitchen, and it’s so incredibly easy to make! Learn here how to make it with fresh sesame seeds, then keep scrolling for a delicious tahini salad dressing as well!
- 500 g / 17 oz sesame seeds ( or however much you want to use )
- a generous pinch of salt
Tahini Salad Dressing
- 2 tbsp tahini ( see recipe above ), or use Dastony raw sesame tahini
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp coriander / cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 tsp ginger
- a nice dash of white pepper
- chili flakes on top
- a minced garlic clove or two is perfect in this dressing too
- You can make this with regular sesame seeds, but i usually use toasted seeds for the nutty flavour. if you want to toast them beforehand, just pop them in the oven for a few minutes, or toast on medium heat in a dry pan until they start to smell nutty. be careful not to burn them !
- Mix seeds and salt in your food processor until completely creamy and smooth. this takes a long time, like 10-20 mins – depending on your processor.
- Place in a thoroughly cleaned glass jar and keep in the fridge (i always keep nuts and seeds in a cool place. they last so much longer.)
- Mix all ingredients except the chili flakes in a small bowl until smooth. give it a taste and add more of any seasoning if needed to modify the taste.
- Garnish with chili flakes and enjoy on just about any type of salad. will keep in the fridge for a few days.