By Chef: Amanda Maguire
Posted: December 12, 2013
When it comes to eggnog, the thicker and creamier the better. Indulge this year with an absolutely delectable recipe by Amanda Maquire of Pickles & Honey! Her recipe has all the components of traditional eggnog that you love (minus the booze), yet is it actually healthy for you. With even the “organic” and “natural” nogs on supermarket shelves you’ll find added sugar, flavors and ingredients such as carrageenan so it’s best to stick with something you make yourself. Lucky for you it’s super easy! Enjoy and have a wonderfully healthy Holiday season this year!
Yield: 4 cups
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked for 2 hours
- 3 cups filtered water
- 5 pitted medjool dates
- 1 medium banana, frozen
- ¼ small avocado, frozen
- 2½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
- cinnamon sticks for garnish
1) Drain and rinse the cashews, then add them to a high speed blender along with the 3 cups of water. Blend on high for one minute.
2) Add the remaining ingredients to the cashew milk and blend on high for another minute, or until completely smooth.
3) Pour, garnish with a cinnamon stick, and enjoy!