By Chef: Chris Anca
Posted: July 19, 2013
This homemade mustard recipe uses only the finest fresh ingredients and is actually a healthful, nutrient rich food as oppose to a condiment loaded with salt and preservatives. Real mustard seeds, apple cider vinegar, raw honey, and fresh herbs- it’s so tasty you’ll want to eat it with a spoon!
- ⅔ cup (120gr) yellow mustard seeds
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- ⅔ cup water
- 2 TBSP fresh thyme
- 1.5 TBSP fresh rosemary
- ½ tsp chili flakes (depending on how hot you want the mustard you can use mild chili flakes or hot ones)
- ⅓ tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp raw honey or maple syrup
- ¼ cup water at room temperature
1. Mix apple cider vinegar with water and add mustard seeds.
2. Leave to soak for 2 to 3 days. The mustard seeds will absorb almost all the liquid and will start to smell like you’re about to make the best mustard on the planet.
3. Add mustard mix to a blender, together with the rest of the ingredients, and blitz until you get a smooth consistency. If you think it’s too thick, add 2 TBSP of water at a time and continue to blend until you get it smooth.
4. Spoon into jars, leaving no air bubbles if you can, and keep covered in the fridge.
Mustard should keep well in the fridge, for up to few months. Though it’s best to consume it as fresh as possible. Start making those delicious honey&mustard salad dressings!