By Chef: Christian Bates
Posted: December 7, 2010
Learn how to make the most aromatic, delicious crusty-outside-moist-inside warm raw bread rolls (gluten-free, grain-free) that you can serve as one of your keynote items on your holiday table! The Raw Thyme Bread Rolls pictured are topped with avocado, a nutty stuffing, sprouts and generous globs of miso-mushrooms gravy!
- 2-3 medium-large onions, peeled and cut into smaller pieces.
- 3 cups sunflower seeds or walnuts (black walnuts if you can get them)
- 3/4 cup chia seed
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 cup cold-pressed olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh thyme or dried cut and sifted thyme
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon maca powder
- 1 teaspoon spirulina powder
1. Feed onions through the top of a food processor with the shredder blade (single cut shredder blade, NOT the small holes grater blade). Place in large bowl.
2. Blend onions, sunflower seeds or walnuts, chia seed, salt and garlic in a food processor (now with “S” metal blade) into a meal consistency, then add olive oil and fresh thyme
3. Blend again until dough-like, then add to the bowl of onion shreds and sprinkle in lemon juicer, maca, and spirulina
4. Mix and mash with your bare clean hands and shape into bread roll shapes of your choice and place on dehydrator trays.
5. Dehydrate 6 hours, then turn rolls over and dehydrate another 4-12 hours. Dehrate longer if you want crispy rolls, shorter if you want extra moist rolls. Serve warm from the dehydrator. Have the Best Holiday Season Ever!