By Chef: Elenore Earthsprout
Posted: May 15, 2018
Give your body a boost of alkalinity with this creamy and luscious savory kale soup. You’ll be surprised at how easy (and filling) raw plant foods can be. Make this soup as spicy or as milky as you want – and don’t be afraid to add some fresh raw cashews on top!
P.S. The raw ginger cream is outrageously dreamy, don’t skip it.
Yield: 7 cups
Raw Kale Soup
- 2 cups kale, packed
- 1 mid-sized zucchini
- 1 small leek (green part too)
- 2 handfuls of parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 stalk celery
- 2 avocados
- 1 small lemon, the zest
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon Himalayan pink crystal salt
- 1 tablespoon virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- 1 teaspoon balsamic reduction
- pinch of chili powder (depending on the heat of your chili)
- 3 cups water
Raw Ginger Cream
- 1 cup pine nuts
- 1 cup water
- 2/3 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped ginger root
- Rinse and prepare the leek, kale, parsley, celery, and zucchini and pop them into a high speed blender (alternatively an immersion blender will do the job but the result won’t be as smooth) with the rest of the ingredients. Add more water if you feel like a lighter soup.
- Soak the pine nuts beforehand for a minimum of 5 hours, this will make them more easily digestible and leave you with a smoother cream. Rinse thoroughly after soaking.
- Peel the ginger using a teaspoon and finely chop up 1 1/2 tablespoons
- Add all ingredients to a high speed blender and blend away until very creamy.
- Pour soup in bowls or glasses, add a couple of spoons of ginger cream (swirl if you wish), a drizzle of olive oil and some freshly cracked black pepper. Enjoy the summer abundance!