By Chef: Chris Anca
Posted: July 1, 2013
These delicious cumin spiced grain free crackers are simple and straight forward and can be left chewy like bread or dried until crunchy like crackers. Spread with hummus or nut butter for a snack, or layer with a yummy spread, veggies and avo for an open-faced sandwich. Completely free of nuts and gluten!
- ½ cup linseed/flax seed meal (Grind whole flaxseeds in a coffee grinder or blender)
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup buckwheat flour (Grind same as flax. The buckwheat can be
- sprouted and dried before hand for a lighter flour)
- ½ cup sunflower seeds meal
- 2 tsp sesame seeds
- 1 TBSP cumin seeds (crushed with mortar and pestle)
- pinch sea salt
- ¼ cup water (only if needed)
1. Soak flax meal in 1 cup water and set aside until it becomes a gel.
2. Mix together buckwheat flour, sunflower seeds meal, sesame, cumin and sea salt.
3. Add flax meal and water mix to buckwheat mix and use a spatula to combine into a dough. (Or you can do it by hand.)
4. Spread mix on baking paper as thin as possible (1cm thick or even less).
5. Score with knife into the shapes you’d like your bite sized pieces to be. (I chose to make them square.)
6. Add to oven at the lowest temp possible, leaving the door ajar, and dehydrate until they’re completely dry. Took me about an hour. Alternatively, you can use your dehydrator, if you have one (you lucky thing).