By Chef: Emma Potts
Posted: September 4, 2014
f you feel yourself falling under the weather halt those ickies right in their tracks with this immune system boosting smoothie by Emma Potts of Coconut and Berries. Medicinal ingredients like goji berries, turmeric, and ginger combine with fresh oranges, coconut water (or almond milk), a splash of coconut nectar (or maple syrup), and plenty of ice to create a cooling, soothing, perfectly sweet and antioxidant loaded super-smoothie!
Check out Emma’s dissertation on each key ingredient:
Goji berries: Touted as a “superfood”. Gram for gram, goji berries contain more vitamin C than oranges and more beta-carotene than carrots. Beta-carotene is important for healthy skin and eyes.
Turmeric: High in curcumin, a substance with powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
Ginger: Boosts immunity, eases digestion, improves circulation and also has anti-inflammatory properties.
Oranges: Very high in vitamin C, vital for a healthy immune system.
Yield: 1 large serving or 2-3 small
- 2 Medium oranges, peeled and any excess pith removed
- 1/2 C Coconut water OR almond milk OR water
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- 3 Tbsp Goji berries
- 1/2 » pc Peeled ginger
- 1 Tbsp Coconut nectar OR Maple syrup
- 3/4 C Ice
1) Blend everything together in a high-power blender, until completely smooth (My Froothie Optimum 9400 pulverizes the goji berries pretty quickly but it might take a few minutes in a less powerful blender).
2) Add the ice and blend again.