By Chef: Emily von Euw
Posted: September 21, 2017
Decadent clouds of coffee and chocolate – this would be the best way to describe these tarts. Made from rich coconut cream, raw cacao, and strong espresso, this heavenly dessert is both satisfying and energizing.
Yield: makes 6 tarts
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1 cup almonds
- 1 cup pitted Medjool dates
- 1-2 tablespoons cacao powder, as desired
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, if needed
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 2-3 tablespoons coconut oil, as needed
- 1/4 cup strong espresso
- 1/4 cup cashews
- 1-2 tablespoons almond butter or hazelnut butter, as desired
To make the crust
- grind the almonds and cashews into rough flour in a food processor.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and keep processing until you have a moist, thick dough. If it’s too moist, add some almond flour. If it’s too crumbly, add more dates or coconut oil.
- Press into lined tart tins and leave in the fridge.
To make the mocha cream:
- Scoop out the thick, solid fat in the can of coconut milk: this is what you want to use. Leave the rest (I add it to smoothies).
- Blend all ingredients together until smooth and DEE-licious.
- Now you have two options: you can pour the mocha cream into your tart crusts now, and let them set that way. Or you can pour it into another container, let it thicken up in the fridge, then spread it into your crusts. This way it’s a bit fluffier so you can spread it with some texture, instead of simply pouring it and letting it set flat. Up to you!
- Drizzle your tarts with almond or hazelnut butter and DIG IN! 🙂 These will last for 2-4 days in the fridge stored in airtight glassware.