By Chef: Kibby Miller
Posted: October 23, 2013
Is your body craving a serious dose of minerals? This ultra healthy cucumber and seaweed salad by Kibby of Kibby’s Blended Life will give you the nourishing mineral fix you desire! Arame, a highly nutritious and mild flavored seaweed, is rich in fiber, calcium, iron, iodine, magnesium and Vitamin A, and has a delightfully tender texture once soaked. Enjoy!
- 1 oz. of arame seaweed (I added a handful of wakame too)
- 1 cucumber – sliced thinly
- sea salt – 1 tsp.
- 1 red pepper – diced
- 1/2 small red onion – diced
- Raw apple cider vinegar – 1/4 cup
- Coconut aminos – 2 TB.
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 TB. unrefined sesame seed oil
- pickled ginger slices – chopped (optional) I used some I made. Nice addition!
- Greens of choice (I used organic romaine lettuce)
1) Soak arame and wakame seaweed for 15 minutes in water.
2) Sprinkle cucumber slices with some sea salt and let sit for several minutes to release juices.
3) Discard soaking water from seaweed and rinse well in a fine mesh colander. Squeeze the seaweed by hand to get excess water out. Put seaweed in a bowl.
4) Take a pair of kitchen scissors (I keep a pair in the kitchen for misc. chores) and cut seaweed into small chunks and add to cucumbers.
5) Add all other ingredients and toss. Season to taste.
6) Marinate for about an hour to infuse all the flavors.
7) When ready to serve, place on top of greens of choice and ENJOY!