By Chef: Elena Kulakovska
Posted: November 25, 2015
This smoothie is perfect for a day when you crave something chocolatey; it satisfies a sweet tooth yet it is packed with nutrients, vitamins and minerals which are best absorbed by our body when we get them through real food.
See benefits* below for the nutritional benefits!
Celery: highly hydrating and alkalizing for our body. It’s also rich in potassium, iron, calcium and magnesium.
Cacao: high in antioxidants and a great source of magnesium.
Banana: high in potassium and vitamin B6 (great for maintaining a healthy nervous system).
Kale: loaded in antioxidants, vitamin C, and chlorophyll, kale is one of the best superfoods as it helps reduce inflammation and protect against free radicals.
Cherries: packed in antioxidants, especially melatonin, which is a powerful antioxidant that plays a vital role in regulating sleep.
Hemp seeds: offer the highest source of plant-based protein, containing all of the essential amino acids, making it a complete protein. They are also high in omega 3 fatty acids which provide optimal support for the brain, our hormones and our heart.
- 3 stalks celery
- 2 handfuls of kale leaves
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 cup of cherries
- 1-2 Tbsp cacao powder (I used 2 Tbsp as I prefer it more chocolatey)
- 1 scoop Epic Protein Chocolate Maca
- 1 cup of hemp (or almond) milk
- Place all ingredients in a high speed blender and blend until smooth.
- Topping: hemp seeds, goji berries, banana slices and cherries (here, I used frozen cherries, thawed overnight. You can use frozen cherries for thicker consistency — but since it’s currently chilly in New York, I prefer using fruit that’s been previously thawed).