By Chef: Callie England
Posted: May 23, 2012
Crispy sweet “baked” onions with a creamy, cheesy, sunflower seed sauce that mimics the flavor of cheddar? Yes, please! This is another incredibly creative recipe by Callie England that will satisfy those cravings for any snacky, cheesy, savory, oniony type foods. Callie tells us, “These crispy onions are a great addition to salads and soups. Plus, they will store beautifully in the freezer, so make extra and you’ll have them for quite some time.” They are crunchy, light, and oh so yummy!
- 3 lbs onions (Callie used purple)
- 1 cup sunflower seeds, soaked 3 to 6 hours
- .5 red pepper
- 2 T nutritional yeast
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 T lemon juice
- 1 T tahini
- 1/2 garlic clove
- sea salt to taste
1. Slice onions about .24-.5″ in width. Set aside.
2. Sauce: In a blender, combine the remaining ingredients. Blend until smooth.
3. Prep: Pour sauce over onions and mix until well coated. Place onions on a teflex dehydrator sheet, or a baking sheet. Dehydrate for at least 24 hours until crispy. If baking, use lowest temperature and bake until crispy.
Dehydration time is long on these – so, if you’re not gung-ho about them being raw, I might suggest using an oven on the lowest temp. Store in freezer for added freshness.