By Chef: Lisa Pitman
Posted: November 2, 2012
Nothing goes better with a warm cup of tea in the Fall than a sweet coconut macaroon especially when it possesses a bright pop of orange like these! Warm them up in the dehydrator for a more authentic macaroon texture and to saturate your ingredients with rich coconut flavor.
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened, shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup carrot juice
- 1/2-3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- pinch of clove
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 1/2 cup walnuts, ground
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- pinch of sea salt
1. In a medium bowl combine the carrot juice and coconut. Stir until the coconut takes on a bright orange colour.
2. Add the remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
3. Using a small ice cream scoop out (1 inch in diameter) make small balls of batter (makes approximately 16 macaroons).
4. If you have a dehydrator, warm the macaroons for 6-8 hours at 115 degrees. This will intensify the flavours and firm up the texture.
5. If you don’t have a dehydrator place the macaroons in the fridge or freezer to firm up.