By Chef: Gena Hemshaw
Posted: August 18, 2011
Imagine a smooth, creamy ice cream, with the unexpected hint of traditional spices and fresh berries.
Yield: 8 inch pie pan
- 2 cups fresh blackberries
- raw honey or another sweetener of choice — to taste
- 2 cups raw cashews — soaked overnight
- 2 cups meat of fresh young Thai coconut
- 1 cup freshly squeezed apple juice
- 3/4 cup agave syrup or another sweetener of choice
- zest of 2 oranges
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 cup coconut oil
In a high-speed blender, combine all the ingredients until smooth. Chill well, and process in your ice-cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Pour a small amount of ice-cream into a chilled container, then spoon some blackberry sauce on top. Continue with the ice-cream, alternating with layers of blackberry sauce to get a swirled effect when you scoop. Cover the container and freeze for a couple of hours before serving.
In a high speed blender, combine the berries with your sweetener of choice. Run the mixture through a fine-mesh sieve to discard the seeds.