By Chef: Alex Malinsky
Posted: April 9, 2014
Both ginger and turmeric are rhizomes and have been lauded for thousands of years in Ayurveda for their medicinal and culinary properties. Turmeric and ginger, both highly rich in antioxidants work synergistically to strengthen the digestive agni and increase the metabolism. This is a strong and potent spring time tonic!
- 2 cups of Water
- 1 tsp fresh grated Ginger
- 1 tsp fresh Turmeric Root or Turmeric Root Powder
- 1 tsp Natural Sweetener (of your choice- try raw honey, maple syrup or coconut sugar)
- 2 tsp Lemon/Lime Juice (optional)
- 1/8 tsp crushed Black Pepper (optional)
1. Begin by making the ginger-turmeric paste by grinding the two together.
2. Add it two cups of water and bring it to boil. Simmer this for about 15 mins on stove until the liquid reduces in half. Switch off the heat. Strain.
3. Add the sweetener of your choice, I generally have this without any sweetener, yes, you’re right I am little crazy…lol But you could add maple syrup or honey (if not a strict vegan).