By Chef: Shannon Leparski
Posted:May 19, 2016
For those days when you need a lazy go-to salad recipe. AKA everyday at lunch, basically. This crunchy mix is super fresh, light and zesty with a creamy (but healthy) dressing. With a base of hemp seeds (they add the perfect creaminess when blended up) fresh lemon, dijon, garlic and a handful of other ingredients – you have a tangy dressing that pulls the salad together in no time. Adding a handful of sliced green olives at the end was the best touch of saltiness for more depth of flavor. YUM. Go make this right now and add it to your weekly salad menu.
- 3-4 curly kale leaves, de-stemmed and torn into pieces
- 1 bunch of romaine hearts, chopped
- 2/3 cucumber, quartered
- 1/4 cup green olives, sliced
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds
- optional add-ins: capers, pine nuts, crumbled tempeh
Vegan Caesar Dressing
- 1/3 cup hemp seeds
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 tablespoon raw apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon maple syrup (or agave nectar)
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients for the salad and mix.
- Using a hand immersion blender or food processor, combine all ingredients for the caesar salad dressing and blend until smooth and creamy. Makes 1 cup worth.
- Pour dressing over salad (or keep separate if you planned for leftovers). Enjoy!
If you combined the salad and the dressing, it will keep in the refrigerator for 1-2 days but any longer than that and the romaine will get soggy. If you want to use all kale (which is a heartier green) the salad will keep 3 days. If you keep the dressing separate, the salad will last 3-4 days in the refrigerator. Just add the dressing as needed and enjoy!