By Chef: Marie Reginato
Posted: October 27, 2016
This winter massaged kale is filled with great flavors as all the toppings are within season. The crispy apples, alongside the soft persimmons and beets, adds a beautiful layer of flavor and textures that then is balanced by the earthy, yet sweet, turmeric dressing. Every bite brings a different mingling of fresh fruit and crunchy nuts. To add even more bulk and goodness to this salad, you can mix in any beans, avocado or hemp seeds. So satisfying.
- 4 kale stocks with the stem removed
- ½ persimmon
- small handful of pecans (or any nut)
- 1/3 of an apple
- small handful of raisins (I like the white rains from Farmers Markets)
- ½ of a large beet, thinly sliced or shredded
- handful of pomegranate seeds
- ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon of tahini
- 2 teaspoon honey
- 1 small garlic clove, thinly chopped (minced garlic)
- 1 and ½ tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of water
- Start by tearing the kale leaves into bite-size pieces, disregarding the steams. Then wash the kale leaves and pat dry. Before you massage the kale, you want to pour the turmeric dressing you prepared (by whisking all the ingredients together in a small bowl) on top of the leaves. Then use your hands to massage the dressing into the kale. The acid from the dressing will help break down the cell wall. Massage for 1-2 minutes. The longer you massage, the softer the kale will become.
- Then simply cut all the ingredients for the salad, cubing the beets and persimmons, and mix with the massaged kale. Top with the chopped nuts and pomegranate seeds.