By Chef: Chris Anca
Posted: August 15, 2013
Walnut and dates are surely one of the best combinations in raw food dessert making history! The crunchy, oil-rich nature of walnuts mixes so well with the ultra sweet and gooey-soft flavor and consistency of dates. These yummy morsels of truffle goodness by Chris Anca of Tales of a Kitchen can also be formed into cookies for another variation. High in omegas from walnuts and flax, and healthy, easy to burn carbs from dates, you’ll be left feeling nourished and energized after enjoying these!
- ⅓ cup raw walnuts, ground
- ¼ cup raw cashews, ground
- 2 TBSP linseed, ground (this is optional and if you don’t have you can sub with more walnuts or cashews)
- 1 tsp solid coconut oil
- 1 tsp liquid sweetener of choice – raw honey, agave, maple syrup (you can use less if you want, but make sure you use enough to make the dough sticky)
- 2 fresh dates, pitted and each chopped in 3
To serve: nut meal of choice
1. Add walnuts and cashews to a blender and process for few seconds to get them finely ground.
2. In a bowl, mix nuts with linseed (if using), coconut oil and sweetener until you get a sticky ‘dough’.
3. Roll each piece of date in tiny balls.
4. Divide ‘dough’ in 6 parts.
5. Get 1 part dough and roll it into a ball. Make a hole in it with your thumb and put a sticky date piece inside. Cover it up with the dough and roll it back into a truffle, making sure to cover all sides of the date filling.
6. Continue with the rest.
To serve, roll the truffles in a nut meal (I used almond meal) and place in the fridge for 10-15 minutes. You can also serve them right away, without fridge time.