By Chef: Chris Anca
Posted: October 2, 2013
Sit back, relax, breathe in that fresh Autumn air and enjoy this simple and scrumptious walnut and apple infused kale salad. Why choose kale for your salad greens? Chris Anca of Tales of a Kitchen gives us plenty of reasons! In just 1 cup of chopped kale (about what this recipe calls for) you’ll be getting 200% of your daily allowance for Vitamin A, 100% of your Vitamin C, and 684% of your Vitamin K. The kale within this recipe will be literally helping to protect your cells and build healthy blood to nourish every inch of you. We love the combination of flavors in this recipe: the robust and green flavor of kale is balanced perfectly with sweet apple, crunchy celery, and rich walnuts dressed with a lovely basic olive oil and balsamic vinaigrette dressing.
- 3-4 big kale leaves, chopped finely & 2 TBSP lemon juice
- 1 medium apple, cored and diced
- 1 big celery rib, chopped
- handful of walnuts
- 1 TBSP good olive oil
- 1 TBSP good walnut oil (optional, but really makes a difference)
- ½ tsp balsamic vinegar
- Seasoning, to taste: sea salt, black pepper, chili flakes
- Top with sesame seeds
1. Toss kale with lemon juice and set aside for 2-3 minutes.
2. Prepare apple and celery and add to kale.
3. Make dressing and add to salad. Toss to cover.
4. Top with walnuts and sesame seeds and serve fresh.