By Chef: Summer Sanders
Posted: December 24, 2014
When your breakfast is so delicious it could double as dessert this is definitely a good thing, and even more so when it’s sugar-free! This creamy-delicious recipe is made with organic stevia, which has a zero glycemic index, however you can tailor it to fit your own needs by subbing in a favorite healthy sweetener of choice. Stevia can also be used in conjunction with other sweeteners such as raw honey or coconut nectar to lessen the glycemic load. Even the kids of the house will love this recipe – a perfect breakfast tapioca alternative that you can feel really good about sharing with those you love.
- 11/4 cup of plain almond milk (homemade is best!)
- 1/2 teaspoon gluten-free vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 to 3 packages of powdered stevia (you can substitute your favorite natural sweetener here.
- 4 tablespoons chia seed
- 5 frozen or Fresh sliced strawberries
- In a blender, combine almond milk, vanilla, almond extract, cinnamon, sea salt and stevia. Blend well.
- Pour half of the mixture into a mason jar or glass container. Then add the chia seeds.
- Pour remaining liquid mixture on top as well as all sliced strawberries.
- Put the mason jar cap on and shake! If you’re not using a mason jar, use a spoon to stir everything.
- Let this mixture sit in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour to allow it to gel up. It’s best to give it a shake or stir every now and then to keep the chia from clumping. The longer you can let it gel the better texture the pudding will have. For a less tapioca style version, you can blend the chia in with the almond milk mixture. This gives you a very creamy and less textured pudding.
- Top with almonds and strawberries if desired.